Craft & Technology
Creative Thinkers, Innovative Contributors
The department aims to achieve our vision of Creative Thinkers, Innovative Contributors through providing students with authentic situations and hands-on learning experiences. Besides gaining knowledge on the subject matters, students acquire relevant skills in art-making, designing and cooking in the various Craft & Technology subjects and develop the necessary dispositions and attitudes required of the subjects.
1. Design & Technology (Lower and Upper Sec)
2. Food & Consumer Education (Lower Sec)
3. Art (Lower and Upper Sec)
4. Enhanced Art Programme (Upper Sec)
5. Music (Lower Sec)
The syllabus aims to provide students with a holistic school experience by:
- engaging students in critical thinking processes such as the inquiry based pedagogy to develop them into reflective thinkers.
- developing innovative minds that are able to perceive different perspectives in thought and practise.
- developing in students an understanding of real world applications of art through different media in relevant contexts.
- equipping them with a basic understanding and awareness of local Art History.
Design & Technology
Through a series of design-and-make activities, the syllabus aims to enable students to:
- cultivate visual-spatial thinking through sketching, experimenting and prototyping using appropriate materials
- develop an appreciate of function, aesthetics and technology in design
- exercise judgements for design appropriateness with respect to the users, functionality and the environment
- develop confidence, pride and tenacity through exploring real world design opportunities
- embrace complexities, uncertainties and the inherent social dimension of the design process when exploring design opportunity
Food & Consumer Education
The syllabus aims to enable students to:
- understand the importance of nutrition for long-term health
- apply basic principles of consumer education
- apply basic financial principles for everyday decision-making and planning
- appreciate and develop an understanding of food, nutrition and trans-cultural awareness in the global context
- nurture and develop critical thinking, problem-solving and creativity, a spirit of enterprise, innovation and aesthetic awareness to make informed decisions
- develop positive attitudes and values for the well-being of the community
- demonstrate effective and responsible use of resources for the individuals and the community
- Enhanced Art Programme
- Destination Zero Carbon, Millenium Race, National Junior Robotics Competition
- NP-BVA Design Challenge 2014 @ Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- 3D printing technologies